This job is no longer available
The Accessories buyer will plan, select and implement merchandise ranges and assortments for the ladies department that best meet the needs and requirements of the target customers and which will deliver the sales and profit targets as agreed with the board of directors.
• Planning, selection and sourcing of all merchandise for the accessories department/categories with a view to achieving the sales and margin targets as agreed with the board of directors
• In association with the merchandise planner compile a merchandise plan for the accessories department/categories based on the Company’s financial objectives.
• Manage all aspects of the supplier relationship, including price negotiation, terms and conditions and delivery performance
• Manage in-season business by tracking and analysing sales information in order to identify opportunities to increase sales, improve margins, maximise inventories and decrease markdowns
•Continually look to identify new potential product/ design opportunities and discuss with the Creative/ Design Department
•Attend the ladies/kids accessories design review meetings. Use fashion sense, knowledge of ladies/kids trends, and understanding of target customers’ desires to select designs for inclusion within new collections
•Develop and maintain good relationships with suppliers and continually look to develop new sources of supply, in line with market needs.
• Maintain and update, supplier files, price lists/ product catalogues for accessories departments/categories
• Manage the purchase order management process; from the initial placement of the order through to delivery of merchandise in the warehouse. Requests order status reports from the supplier to ensure deliveries are on schedule.
• In association with the Merchandise Planner, review the open-to-buy on a monthly basis.
• React quickly to sales performance and liaise with store operations and other departments as appropriate.
• Participate in promotional activities in association with Marketing.
• Validate, reconcile, supplier invoices, and other payment documents, as necessary.
• Attend trade fairs and visit major fashion centers across the world.
• Be aware of other markets to identify potential opportunities or threats.
• Meet strict deadlines.
• Establish and maintain a successful work culture. Coach and mentor staff to facilitate their professional and personal growth.
•Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
• Ability to understand fashion trends and relate/ translate this to the target customer
• Ability to fully understand the fashion design process and the timelines required to provide designs for inclusion within a collection. Ideally, the candidate should have a design background.
• Ability to select designs that reflect and enhance the Company brand, whether working with internal or freelance designers.
• Intimate knowledge of ladies market
• Good analytical skills
• Excellent budgeting and planning skills
• Excellent commercial / negotiation skills
• Ability to deal well with deadlines and stress.
• Demonstrated team player
• Outstanding interpersonal skills
• Ability to communicate cross functionally as well as up and down the enterprise
• Ability to manipulate data through spreadsheets, word, and presentation software
• Experience of line management responsibilities
• Minimum of 5 years’ significant fashion buying experience in a centralised retail environment, ideally within a ladies department.
• Experience in developing and implementing buying processes within a retail fashion environment
• Experience in developing and delivering training in relation to buying processes
• Previous experience in design would be a distinct advantage.
• Educated to degree level, ideally in fashion merchandising or other related subjects
• Other qualifications and/ or training in Business and Fashion Design is very helpful