This job is no longer available
Job Description and Requirements
Subject Training and Staff Development
A. Job Title : Structural Fabricator
B. Grade : NMT04
C. Position in AFI : Fabricator
D. Main purpose of the job : Structural Fabrication of Carbon Steel and Stainless steel
E. Main duties
• Align and fit parts according to specifications, using jacks, wedges, drift pins, and hammers.
• Design and construct templates and fixtures, using hand tools.
• Direct welders to build up low spots or short pieces with weld.
• Hammer, chip, and grind workpieces in order to cut, bend, and straighten metal.
• Heat-treat parts, using acetylene torches.
• Lay out and examine metal stock or workpieces to be processed in order to ensure that specifications are met.
• Lift or move materials and finished products, using forklifts.
• Locate and mark workpiece bending and cutting lines, allowing for stock thickness, machine and welding shrinkage, and other component specifications.
• Mark reference points onto floors or face blocks and transpose them to workpieces, using measuring devices, squares, chalk, and soapstone.
• Position or tighten braces, jacks, clamps, ropes, and/or bolt straps, or bolt parts in position for welding or riveting.
• Position, align, fit, and weld parts to form complete units or subunits, following drawings and layout specifications, and using jigs, welding torches, and hand tools.
• Remove high spots and cut bevels, using hand files, portable grinders, and cutting torches.
• Set up and operate fabricating machines such as brakes, rolls, shears, flame cutters, grinders, and drill presses to bend, cut, form, punch, drill, or otherwise form and
assemble metal components.
• Smooth workpiece edges, and fix taps, tubes, and valves.
• Straighten warped or bent parts, using sledges, hand torches, straightening presses
• Study engineering drawings to determine materials requirements and task sequences.
• Tack-weld fitted parts together.
• Verify conformance of workpieces to specifications, using squares, rulers, and measuring tapes.
F. Profile of expected competencies and qualification:
• Certified structural fabricator
• Two year certification course from reputed institution
G. Equipment/Tools required to do this job:
● MIG welding machine.
● Cutting set.
● Hand tools
● Power tools