This job is no longer available
Located in Doha, the capital of Qatar, Sidra Medical & Research Center is a state-of-the-art facility that will focus primarily on women's and children's healthcare.
While providing world-class healthcare services, the center will also be an environment of learning for medical students and residents, encompassing cooperative national and international research.
Sidra Medical and Research Center is set to transform the healthcare landscape in Qatar, the Gulf Region and internationally.
The world-class caliber of Sidra is reflected in the center's innovative design, in its use of the most modern and state-of-the-art technologies.
Working with the Manager Microbiology and Immunology, the Chief Technologist will oversee the commissioning of the relevant sections including the commissioning of equipment, IT systems, recruitment, on-boarding and training of staff, preparing policies and procedures in accordance with CAP-ISO15189 and JCI. The Chief Technologist will be part of a team of Biomedical Scientists/Technologists delivering high quality services in the specialty of Immunology and will have operational oversight within the department. S/he will be the professional lead in their area responsible for providing expert advice to service users. The Chief Technologist will have overall responsibility for the supervision of the department's resources including equipment, communication, education, training and development of staff (including his/her own professional development), Health and Safety and Quality.
Reports to: Manager Microbiology and Immunology
Direct Reports: Technologist II, Technologist I
- Provides professional and scientific management for the services within portfolio.
- Develops and implements robust systems for risk assessment for all activities within the department.
- Identifies resource requirements and informs the Manager Microbiology and Immunology.
- Ensures areas under direct management comply with hospital Health and Safety Policies, and works with Departmental Leads to cascade changes affecting the laboratory health and safety strategy.
- Ensures the provision of appropriate staff training and development.
- Ensures that all audit is documented and any conclusion presented as appropriate and implements appropriate remedial action.
- Works with the Quality Manager to develop systems to deliver quality services to satisfy CAP-ISO15189 and JCI standards.
- Ensures the continued provision of an effective 24/7 service where appropriate.
- Co-ordinates research and development undertaken in discussion with clinicians and scientists within the department.
- Ensures consistent standard in recruitment and selection issues in compliance with the hospital policies.
- Uses department IT systems as appropriate to gather, analyse and present statistics and data for management, clinical or financial purposes.
- Performs analytical and clinical audits as necessary to support the hospital audit programme, and CAP-ISO15189 and JCI accreditation.
- Oversees and participates in the validation of results as appropriate.
- Develops common working practices within the disciplines and standardisation of methods and SOPs where appropriate.
- Interprets highly complex clinical information to ensure the appropriate tests are carried out.
- With the Departmental Clinical Leads, investigates and takes action to resolve the problems with analytical methods and equipment.
- Discusses and plans amendments and enhancements to the service. Implements agreed plans.
- Communicates with colleagues within the department on a range of extremely complex subjects and co-operates and consults with, Medical, Scientific and Clerical staff throughout Clinical laboratories.
- Presents and receives highly complex technical, scientific and clinical information.
- Plans and organises a range of highly complex activities and projects in the department.
- Deputises for the Manager Microbiology and Immunology to cover leave and other absences.
- Contributes to the development of Quality Management systems and procedures, and the wider Clinical Governance within the Department of Clinical laboratories.
- Undertakes other duties as required by the Manager Microbiology and Immunology.
- Represents Clinical laboratories and the discipline at national and regional meetings as agreed with the Lead Manager Microbiology and Immunology.
- Whilst it is not appropriate for the post holder to routinely participate in out of hours working, this may be necessary in times of low staff numbers or sickness to ensure service continuity.
In view of the developing and changing needs and opportunities within Sidra during this start-up phase, this position may perform other duties as assigned and reporting relationships may vary.