This job is no longer available
Plan Logistics Manager
Logistics and distribution managers organize the storage and distribution of goods, which often involves using complex IT and telecommunications systems. They plan and manage the movement of goods in a supply chain, liaising with many parties including suppliers of raw materials, manufacturers, retailers and consumers.
Logistics and distribution managers need an awareness of and strategic response to external influences, such as legislation, fuel costs and environmental pressures.
The role of distribution manager within logistics may involve transportation, stock control, warehousing and ensuring structures are in place to monitor the flow of goods and materials. IT plays a key part within the logistics field in forecasting increasingly complex systems of stock levels, delivery times, transport costs and performance evaluation.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Responsibilities vary according to the specific job role and whether the employing company is a manufacturer, retailer or specialist service provider (third party logistics or 3PL).
A range of business tasks is undertaken to support the smooth and efficient operation of supply chain processes, and typical work activities usually include:
• monitoring the quality, quantity, cost and efficiency of the movement and storage of goods;
• coordinating and controlling the order cycle and associated information systems;
• analyzing data to monitor performance and plan improvements and demand;
• allocating and managing staff resources according to changing needs;
• liaising and negotiating with customers and suppliers;
• Developing business by gaining new contracts, analyzing logistical problems and producing new solutions.
When managing warehouse or transport staff, the role may also include:
• implementing health and safety procedures;
• managing staff training issues;
• motivating other members of the team;
• project management;
• Setting objectives.
More senior roles in logistics may involve:
• planning projects;
• Using specialist knowledge, such as mechanical-handling systems, to provide consultancy services.
• Process Improvement, Analyzing Information , Strategic Planning, Verbal Communication, Informing Others, Quality Engineering, Emphasizing Excellence, Pharmacology, Attention to Detail, Thoroughness, Dealing with Complexity
• Bachelors Degree/ Higher Diploma in any related field
• Minimum of 10 years experience in Dairy Plant Industry