Closed or Expired Job Posting This job posting is closed or has expired and is no longer open for applications.
Senior Protection Associate - G7
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
The position may entail supervisory responsibilities for protection staff including community services, registration, resettlement and education depending on the structure of the Office. He/she monitors protection standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery in line with international standards and provides functional protection support to information management and programme staff.
The Senior Protection Associate is expected to coordinate quality, timely and effective protection responses to the needs of populations of concern and identify opportunities to mainstream protection methodologies and integrate protection safeguards in operational responses in all sectors. He/she contributes to designing a comprehensive protection strategy and represents the Office externally on protection doctrine and policy as guided by the supervisor.
He/she also ensures that persons of concern are involved with the Office in making decisions that affect them, whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistance partners.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- The protection of populations of concern is met through the application of International and National Law, relevant UN/UNHCR protection standards and IASC principles.
- Protection activities are guided by the protection strategy and respect UNHCR’s policy on age, gender and diversity (AGD).
- The participation of persons of concern is facilitated through continuous assessment and evaluation using participatory, rights and community based approaches.
- Protection incidents are immediately identified and addressed.
- Stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection environment.
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Assist in providing comments on existing and draft legislation related to persons of concern.
- Provide advice and guidance on protection issues to persons of concern; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Assist in conducting eligibility and status determination for persons of concern in compliance with UNHCR procedural standards and international protection principles.
- Contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Contribute to a country-level education plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Manage individual protection cases including those on SGBV and child protection.
- Assist in promoting durable solutions for the largest possible number of persons of concern.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Contribute to and facilitate a programme of results-based advocacy with sectorial and/or cluster partners.
- Facilitate effective information management through the provision of disaggregated data on populations of concern and their problems.
- Participate in initiatives to capacitate authorities, relevant institutions and NGOs to strengthen national protection related legislation and procedures.
- Intervene with authorities on protection issues.
- Enforce compliance of staff and implementing partners with global protection policies and standards of professional integrity in the delivery of protection services.
- Recommend and prepare payments to individual cases.
Position Number: 10021298
Category and Level: Fixed-Term Appointment (FTA) for 1 year
Date of Issue: July 03, 2014
Closing Date: July 17, 2014
- Minimum of 11 years of relevant work experience..
- Completion of secondary school. Certificate/ training in International Law, Political Science or related field is required.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
Desirable Qualifications and Competencies:
- Good computer skills.
- Completed RSD-Resettlement LP and/or Protection Learning Programme.
- Required Competencies: Judgment and Decision Making - Political Awareness.
Completion of secondary school. Certificate/ training in International Law, Political Science.
Egypt continues to be both a transit country, as well as one that receives refugees. While it is signatory to the 1951 Refugee Convention and its 1967 Protocol, domestic asylum procedures have yet to be developed. Meanwhile, UNHCR continues to carry out registration and refugee status determination processes (RSD).
In 2011-2012, UNHCR saw an increase in the registration of new asylum-seekers in Egypt, especially from Sudan and South Sudan. Accelerated RSD procedures were put in place for Sudanese asylum-seekers from Darfur, and the Office began individual RSD interviews for asylum-seekers from South Kordofan and Blue Nile State.
The deteriorating situation in the Syrian Arab Republic also increased the number of Syrians approaching UNHCR for registration. To date, close to 5,000 Syrians have been registered, although many more are reported to have arrived in Egypt.
More than 1,700 people of concern who fled the conflict in Libya in 2011 and are awaiting durable solutions remain at Saloum, at the Egypt-Libya border. UNHCR is providing them with food and essential services, as well as carrying out registration, conducting RSD and making referrals for resettlement. In early 2012, UNHCR was authorized by the Egyptian Government to set up a camp within the port area of Saloum where adequate shelter and basic services could be provided.
- Job Location: Cairo, Egypt
- Company Industry: Other
- Company Type: Non-Profit Organization
- Job Role: Law/Legal
- Employment Status: Full time
- Employment Type: Employee
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Career Level: Mid Career
- Years of Experience: Min: 10
- Nationality: Egypt
- Degree: High school or equivalent