Closed or Expired Job Posting This job posting is closed or has expired and is no longer open for applications.
Senior Program Officer – Information and Networks
International Development Research Centre
A key part of Canada’s foreign policy efforts, the International Development Research Centre (IDRC) supports research in developing countries to promote growth and development. The result is innovative, lasting solutions that aim to improve lives and livelihoods. Join our team to put your ideas and knowledge to work to help solve some of the developing world’s most critical challenges.
SENIOR PROGRAM OFFICER - Cairo, Egypt
Information and Networks
The Information and Networks (I&N) program explores the positive and negative impacts of widespread access to mobile telephones and the Internet in developing countries. I&N works to promote positive social and economic change, particularly in the areas of governance, entrepreneurship, learning, and science.
As the Senior Program Officer, reporting to the Programme Leaders, Information and Networks (based in Ottawa) while working under the supervision of the Regional Director, you will identify critical research issues such as the impact of the internet and other novel forms of communications technologies on governance (including social and political changes and open government), learning, entrepreneurship and scientific production. You will also take the lead in developing, managing, monitoring and evaluating a portfolio of research projects in these areas.
In particular, you will be identifying and engaging with researchers in the Middle East and North Africa to ensure that they can actively participate in research networks and activities within I&N’s thematic areas. Moreover, you would be expected to collaborate on global research activities within the areas of open education, digital activism, open government, online censorship and privacy, open science, intellectual property rights and/or digital inclusion.
Overview of Qualifications:
• PhD and a record of publication in an area of applied research related to economics, preferably as applied to the developing world OR a Master’s degree in economics or a law degree with significant work experience and publications.
• Minimum of 3 years of experience
• Conducting and managing applied research related to digital interventions in developing regions
• Evaluating research and communicating research
• Establishing and building partnerships with researchers and research users
• Strong knowledge of issues related to the information society
• Superior English language skills are essential
For more information about this rewarding career opportunity and to apply, please visit our website at idrc.ca/careers
Application Deadline: JUNE 30, 2014
Beyond the opportunity to work with people who are passionate about their work, we offer competitive salaries and extensive benefits including opportunities for professional growth, flexible work hours, employer-paid leave, a pension plan, and medical, dental, and life insurance coverage.
IDRC is committed to employment equity. We encourage applications from qualified women, Aboriginal persons, members of visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
economics, preferably as applied to the developing world OR a Master’s degree in economics or a law
- Job Location: Cairo, Egypt
- Company Industry: Government Sector
- Company Type: Non-Profit Organization
- Job Role: Technology/IT
- Joining Date: 2014-06-10
- Employment Status: Full time
- Employment Type: Employee
- Monthly Salary Range: $8,000 - $9,000
- Manages Others: Yes
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Career Level: Mid Career
- Years of Experience: Min: 3 Max: 5
- Degree: Master's degree