Closed or Expired Job Posting This job posting is closed or has expired and is no longer open for applications.
Assistant Education Officer - NA
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
The incumbent will act as a focal point for education in the area of operation and, under the leadership of the supervising officer(s), support UNHCR’s work regarding education and advocacy on all issues related to UNHCR education programmes and strategic directions. Under the direction of the Protection Officer, the incumbent will support the implementation of global level policies, including the UNHCR Education Strategy, adapted to the local context. He/She will participate in liaising with partners to assess the education context, to develop an implementation plan and to monitor the programme and assess impact. He/She will work in collaboration with in-country education partners to improve access to, and quality of, refugee education at all levels, both formal and non-formal, and may liaise with partners for joint support for education access for refugee and host community children. He/She will support the implementation of education approaches for emerging needs in refugee education, including attention to special needs, minorities, girls, pre-school education, and non-formal activities. He/She will support inter-sectoral linkages with child protection, SGBV, gender, community services, livelihoods and health, among others.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The education needs of refugees are met through the application of International and National Commitments, including the MDGs and EFA commitments, relevant UN/UNHCR protection standards and IASC principles governing humanitarian coordination, including those of the INEE. Education activities are guided by global, regional and country priorities and reflect UNHCR’s policy on age, gender and diversity (AGD). Participation of persons of concern is assured through continuous assessment and evaluation using participatory, rights and community based approaches. Persons of concern are treated with dignity and respect and all protection incidents are immediately identified and addressed.
• Stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on access to and quality of education and inform the development of the education strategy.
• Assist in providing comments to the relevant authorities on existing and draft legislation related to education and persons of concern.
• Coordinate with partners and other actors in education to adapt the Education Strategy to the local context and ensure ownership.
• Provide technical advice and guidance on education issues to persons of concern of all ages; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of education relevant documentation.
• Implement education programmes in line with Inter-agency Network for Education in Emergencies (INEE) standards and the child protection systems approach.
• Provide inputs for the development of global/regional education policies and standards.
• Identify cases of denial of access to education with government and other relevant parties and recommend appropriate responses.
• Identify and promote education activities that support durable solutions.
• Assess needs for services of persons of concern, as related to education, and coordinate partners’ responses.
• Advocate with authorities for respect of the right of persons of concern to an education and for their access to education services.
• Coordinate with Education networks and ensure that refugee education interests are understood and included in relevant policies and initiatives.
• Support the country education information management strategy.
Position Number: 10021299
Category and Level: Fixed-Term Appointment (FTA) for 1 year
Date of Issue: June 19, 2014
Closing Date: July 3, 2014
- Demonstrated work experience in the education sector.
- Knowledge of refugee protection principles and framework.
- Familiarity with INEE standards.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another UN language.
- Very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential.
Desirable Qualifications and Competencies:
- Field experience in education programme implementation and coordination.
- Demonstrated work experience in refugee education programmes.
- Background in relevant education systems with good knowledge of relevant curricula.
- Demonstrated expertise in education programming, community services, community development/organization, social work, social surveys/ assessment, counselling, or related areas.
- Team building/development training.
- Competencies: Empowering and Building Trust; Judgement and Decision Making; Innovation and Creativity; Negotiation and Conflict Resolution; Change Capability and Adaptability.
University degree in Education or Social Sciences or previous relevant job experience.
Egypt continues to be both a transit country, as well as one that receives refugees. While it is signatory to the 1951 Refugee Convention and its 1967 Protocol, domestic asylum procedures have yet to be developed. Meanwhile, UNHCR continues to carry out registration and refugee status determination processes (RSD).
In 2011-2012, UNHCR saw an increase in the registration of new asylum-seekers in Egypt, especially from Sudan and South Sudan. Accelerated RSD procedures were put in place for Sudanese asylum-seekers from Darfur, and the Office began individual RSD interviews for asylum-seekers from South Kordofan and Blue Nile State.
The deteriorating situation in the Syrian Arab Republic also increased the number of Syrians approaching UNHCR for registration. To date, close to 5,000 Syrians have been registered, although many more are reported to have arrived in Egypt.
More than 1,700 people of concern who fled the conflict in Libya in 2011 and are awaiting durable solutions remain at Saloum, at the Egypt-Libya border. UNHCR is providing them with food and essential services, as well as carrying out registration, conducting RSD and making referrals for resettlement. In early 2012, UNHCR was authorized by the Egyptian Government to set up a camp within the port area of Saloum where adequate shelter and basic services could be provided.
- Job Location: Cairo, Egypt
- Company Industry: Other
- Requirements : Non-Profit Organization
- Job Role: Education/Training
- Employment Status: Full time
- Employment Type: Employee
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Career Level: Mid Career
- Years of Experience: Min: 2
- Nationality: Egypt
- Degree: Bachelor's degree