Closed or Expired Job Posting This job posting is closed or has expired and is no longer open for applications.
Senior Supply Assistant – G5
United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
The Senior Supply Assistant provides support supply to all local activities pertaining to the supply chain function including planning, sourcing, transport, shipping, customs clearance and warehousing in the operation.
The incumbent is supervised by a Senior Officer who provides regular guidance. S/he works independently on routine tasks while follows instructions of the supervisor or more complex issues. The incumbent maintains regular contact on a working level on routine issues with other UNHCR offices, UN agencies, NGOs, government partners and commercial contractors in the area to facilitate the operation. The duty of the incumbent is to support the management of material resources within the geographical area covered by the office while exercising efficiency in the use of those resources.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- UNHCR delivers timely and quality goods and services to persons of concern in compliance with supply chain rules and procedures.
- Apply UNHCR's procurement strategy when planning for purchase of important commodities and services.
- Initiate custom clearance of consignments, draft exemption requests, and liaise with local agent.
- Support warehouse management, and assist with planning and goods deliveries, and provide information on the status of requests and the availability of items in the supply chain.
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive records on logistical activities and provide reports and updates periodically, and on request.
- Examine Purchase Requests to ensure conformity and liaise with requesters.
- Prepare quotation requests and tenders, produce bid-tabulations from tenders and prepare Purchase orders for approval.
- Dispatch approved Purchase Orders, and follow-up with the delivery of ordered commodities and services.
- Provide information on all procurement activities within area of responsibility.
- Assist in managing Property, Plant and Equipment (PPE) effectively according to UNHCR rules and regulation including registration and marking of new PPE, Physical verification of PPE, preparation of agreements, preparation of disposal forms (including submissions to LAMB/AMB), and assistance with disposal of PPE.
- Produce standard asset management reports and other asset information, periodically and when requested.
- Maintain accurate data in all relevant business systems. Compile statistical information on supply chain related matters that will assist in decision making.
- Any other responsibility deemed necessary or as delegated by the Supervisor in order to meet the level of service required by the organization.
- Identify and assess vendors based on their capability for delivering commodities and services. Maintain vendor and item master databases.
- Determine routes and delivery schedules to meet demand in the most timely manner.
Position Number: 10021305
Category and Level: Fixed-Term Appointment (FTA) for 1 year
Date of Issue: July 03, 2014
Closing Date: July 17, 2014
- Minimum 5 years of previous relevant job experience.
- Completion of the Secondary School education with post-secondary training/certificate in Business Administration, Logistics, Warehousing or a related field.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language and/or local language (as applicable in the duty station).
Desirable Qualifications and Competencies:
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position such as the Supply Chain Learning Programme (SCLP).
- Computer skills (MS Office and PeopleSoft/MSRP).
- Experience in customs formalities.
- Experience in logistics or warehousing..
- Required Competencies: Managing Resources - Analytical Thinking - Planning and Organizing.
Completion of the Secondary School education with post-secondary training.
- Job Location: Cairo, Egypt
- Company Industry: Other
- Requirements : Non-Profit Organization
- Job Role: Purchasing and Procurement
- Employment Status: Full time
- Employment Type: Employee
- Number of Vacancies: 1
- Career Level: Mid Career
- Years of Experience: Min: 5
- Nationality: Egypt
- Degree: High school or equivalent
Egypt continues to be both a transit country, as well as one that receives refugees. While it is signatory to the 1951 Refugee Convention and its 1967 Protocol, domestic asylum procedures have yet to be developed. Meanwhile, UNHCR continues to carry out registration and refugee status determination processes (RSD).
In 2011-2012, UNHCR saw an increase in the registration of new asylum-seekers in Egypt, especially from Sudan and South Sudan. Accelerated RSD procedures were put in place for Sudanese asylum-seekers from Darfur, and the Office began individual RSD interviews for asylum-seekers from South Kordofan and Blue Nile State.
The deteriorating situation in the Syrian Arab Republic also increased the number of Syrians approaching UNHCR for registration. To date, close to 5,000 Syrians have been registered, although many more are reported to have arrived in Egypt.
More than 1,700 people of concern who fled the conflict in Libya in 2011 and are awaiting durable solutions remain at Saloum, at the Egypt-Libya border. UNHCR is providing them with food and essential services, as well as carrying out registration, conducting RSD and making referrals for resettlement. In early 2012, UNHCR was authorized by the Egyptian Government to set up a camp within the port area of Saloum where adequate shelter and basic services could be provided.